What are the building size restrictions for my property?

The size of the building or addition depends on the zoning district in which it is located. Each zoning district restricts the size of a building by establishing separate setbacks and lot coverage (footprint of building and accessory structures) requirements. In single-family and two-family residential districts (R1, R2 and R3) buildings must also comply with impermeable surface and Floor Area Ratio (F.A.R.) requirements.

In residential districts, only a limited amount of the lot may be covered with materials that do not allow water to be absorbed by the ground (buildings, patios, sidewalks, etc.) The impermeable surface requirement varies by zoning district. The F.A.R. requirement states that the maximum floor area of an existing or proposed building cannot exceed 60 percent of the lot area. The F.A.R. is a ratio of the area of a building to the area of a lot.

As the regulations effecting building size very by zoning district and some restrictions such as impermeable surface and F.A.R. require extensive calculations, it is best to contact Building, Zoning & Property Standards Division of the Community Development Department at 847/933-8223 before planning your project.

Show All Answers

1. What is the zoning of my property?
2. What are the building size restrictions for my property?
3. How long does it take to get a Zoning Variance or Special Use Permit?
4. Do I need a permit to install a fence on my property?
5. Do I need a permit to install a new roof on my home?
6. Does the Village issue licenses for home occupations?
7. Why are there so many property foreclosures and what is the Village’s response to them?
8. What is Section 8 housing and is it increasing in Skokie?
9. What should I do if I notice graffiti on my property or elsewhere in the Village?
10. What parts of Skokie are in a flood plain?
11. How can I comment on a Zoning Board of Appeals or Plan Commission case?
12. What are the rules for truck parking on Village Streets?